Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Two days to go


This morning we stopped by the juzgado to have our documents checked and to ask some questions. We’ve received a lot of information from people who have been through the process or know someone who has. Much of that information has been either almost right or just wrong. We heard recently that we will need witnesses at the civil wedding on Thursday. When we asked about that at the juzgado we were told that none were needed unless one of us is a minor or pregnant. Ana tells me that I’m definitely not a minor but she’s close.


We also stopped by one of the malls in town.



I’m glad Ana is working to “support me” because the days are getting so full I don’t know how I would have time for a job. After she finished working this afternoon we spent several hours driving and running errands. Except for the local market, there aren’t many places you can get to quickly. Most everything is 20 minutes to 3 hours away, depending on traffic. Nereyda’s (Ana’s sister) drive to work can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.



Late tomorrow morning (yea!) we will head to the immigration office to see if I’ve received my permission to marry. They’ve met me three or four times now. I can’t imagine that they would have any objections.



History

Before I can describe that first trip to Mexico in September I have to tell about the events leading up to the trip. Of course, it started with paperwork. In order to get a passport I had to get a certified copy of my birth certificate. That part wasn’t too difficult. I used an online service and expedited the process. I had my three copies in about a week and a half. Then I applied for the passport.



At the time, the US State department had been requiring passports for flights to Mexico but would allow you to fly, until October, if you provided proof of your application for a passport. The process was supposed to take 2-4 weeks but at times it was taking 6-8 weeks because of the new travel requirements. I didn’t apply early enough to ensure that I had my passport in time but with the exception available, I was OK as long as I left before October. I stopped at the post office on a Thursday evening shortly before closing time. This particular post office can take the passport picture when you submit the application. There is no additional cost and they know exactly what they need so check with your post office before spending extra money someplace else for a passport photo.



The next Wednesday, I checked online at the State Department’s website to see if the application had been received and if I could print my Proof of Application. I was amazed to find that my passport had been put in the mail the day before! Three business days and it was done. That never happens! I wasn't completely surprised though. The day after submitting my application, I remembered the story about Peter when he was in prison and an angel appeared telling Peter to follow him out of the prison. His chains fell off and the doors opened and he walked out unnoticed. I decided to pray that God would see the application through its process. I feel like He said, “Watch this!” I couldn’t wait to tell Ana what happened and how God was preparing the way for us.



By this time I knew I was ready to propose and confident she was ready to accept my proposal. Therefore, I needed a ring. I find this sequence of events fascinating also but this post is getting long so I’ll continue it next time.

No comments: