Sunday, May 11, 2008

Farmer's Market and The Early Days

Every weekend here in Iztapalapa(a “suburb” of Mexico City) there is a farmer’s market. I spent part of Saturday wandering the market, taking pictures and talking to a few of the people. I met a photographer who is using a 106 year-old Century view camera that belonged to his grandfather. The camera and stand are beautiful. He has another view camera that is over 100 years old from Kodak that’s for sale if you know anyone that’s interested.




A significant event in a girl’s life here is her quinceañera; her 15th birthday party. It’s like a Coming-Out party. One of the neighbors will have her quinceañera this Saturday. She and her entourage were rehearsing their dance routines in the street. When I assured her mother that there would be no cost, she permitted me to take a few pictures. Mom is so proud of her daughter and is looking forward to seeing the pictures.















Back to the story…
Tomorrow we will finish the paperwork for the civil wedding. It’s nearly the same process that we went through, a few times, with immigration. It shouldn’t be too complicated. In just a couple more days we should be ready for the first wedding.

History
After Ana returned to Mexico back in 2002, we started to write each week and chat online. Sometimes she would call me Brian, sometimes Mr. Leddy and sometimes her “little friend”. What a blast to have an international pen pal; especially one who is so intelligent, enthusiastic and funny. Sometimes I needed nearly an hour to translate an email but in short time my Spanish improved. After a few months, I realized that I could develop a more serious interest in this girl and I couldn’t let that happen. I had decided back in college that I wouldn’t pursue a girl if she was in a relationship or, especially, if I were in one. At the time I was seriously dating someone and decided that I couldn’t continue writing to Ana. I stopped writing as often and then stopped altogether six months after she left. Except for some forwards and prayer requests, which she sent to everyone, I didn’t hear from her again for nearly four years. Occasionally I would send her a note during a holiday but I never got a response. Turns out she had blocked my address! She did it to protect my relationship at the time. That’s not the end of the story though…

No comments: